Thursday 19 January 2012

First Blog

Dear People of the Internet,

I will shortly begin writing this blog for the University of Toronto Course SMC 305 "Christianity and Popular Culture". I'm extremely excited to begin writing for the blogs for this class but before I do I thought I should explain my layout/title/theme. In the coming weeks I will be commenting on the Course Material, but I thought this theme perfectly characterized what the course this course was about.

For those of you who don't know, Tim Tebow is an American Football player and is currently the starting Quarterback of the NFL team the Denver Broncos. He was actually born in the Philippines where his parents were serving as Baptist Missionaries. Tebow would spend his summers in the Philippines assisting with his parent's missionary work. 

I could write 50 page biography on Tim Tebow, but I'm going to stick to the important facts regarding why I chose this layout. There is such a split in the American population regarding Tim Tebow. Some love him for his Conservative religious views while others love to criticize his religious "evangelism". Either way Tim found a way to lead the Bronco's to the playoffs, beating the heavily favoured Pittsburgh Steelers in the first round. 

Tebow's young career has already seen multiple 'miraculous' comebacks and it has put him in the spotlight. This is only interesting because Tim Tebow is not even a good Quarterback. When it comes to passing, he has one of the lowest Ratings in the league yet he is still able to win games for Denver.

I truly believe this phenomenon is a perfect characterization of Christianity and Popular Culture in our day. Many people believe God answers Tebow's prayers to win games, while others like to make fun of his religious  beliefs. Either way, "Tebowmania" has taken North America by storm and is evident throughout the Sports Community.

Below, find some Youtube videos on Tim Tebow, where you can see Broadcaster's personal opinions, Tebow's miraculous drives and pretty much anything to do with "Tebowmania".

Thanks, hope you guys come back to comment on my posts relating to the course.

adc

1 comment:

  1. Hey Adrian,

    I replied to your blog post here!

    http://livintechnico.blogspot.com/2012/02/reply-to-adrian-ds-post-anakin.html

    ReplyDelete